Tuesday, July 25, 2006

aquaman

DC Comics has been getting a lot of attention these days. Batman Begins was a critical and financial success last year ($205M domestic box office), Superman Returns is in theaters now ($180M at the box office so far), and Wonder Woman is coming to screens near you next summer. One of their newest projects received little notice, though, and it seems destined for failure.

A live-action TV pilot was produced for Aquaman to sell a series concept similar to Smallville. It would have traced the early years of the water-loving superhero, but the show was not optioned and the initial episode never aired. Starting today, you can purchase the 41 minute pilot from iTunes for $1.99, something I did this evening.

When I was little I remember having an Aquaman action figure. I had Batman, Robin, Batgirl and the Riddler too, but Aquaman and Batman were my favorites. I recall waiting for the all-too-rare Aquaman episodes on Super Friends Saturday mornings, but I didn’t have the comics so I never knew the back-story of the King of Atlantis.

Aquaman the pilot fills in the gaps, as it starts with the young A.C. It deviates from the mythology of the 1960’s comic books, but it appeared to have been on a path to create a stronger story arc. Part X-Files, part O.C. and part Buffy, Aquaman could have been a hit, especially with the young ladies who love Justin Hartley.

I'm not sure what is more interesting: the reasonably entertaining (despite phone-in performances from Ving Rhames and Lou Diamond Phillips) TV show or the step this represents in alternate distribution of diverse, on-demand programming. Either way, Aquaman on iTunes is the #1 video download and it is my cool thing of the day.

Visit the iTunes Aquaman page

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time someone gave Aquaman his props. Who else can get whales to fight bad guys for him? I was just telling my kids about Aquaman last week in the pool. Thanks, Paul!

Bill

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Vince, Eric, Drama and Turtle will be delighted by your post on Aquaman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page