Friday, July 21, 2006

the z4 coupe

I have a friend whose young son knows almost everything about every car. It is rather amazing the way he can identify makes and models of new and classic vehicles with uncanny precision. I was never that gifted as a youngster, but I did have a strong interest in things automotive. I’d look forward to the arrival of Road and Track each month, and I would pour over the details of the new offerings.

I still like cars, but my interest has waned as I have aged. Often the first time I am aware of a new model is when I see it on the road. However, one soon-to-be-released car has caught my attention: the BMW Z4 Coupe.

BMW released the Z4 Roadster 4 years ago to mixed reviews. Not everyone appreciated its shark-like styling, an outcome I find hard to imagine for the gorgeous curves of the 2-seat coupe. The hardtop completes the car and results in one of the most striking GTs produced in decades.

The coupe comes standard with a composite aluminum and magnesium block 3.0 liter, 255hp engine coupled to a 6-speed manual transmission that rockets the car 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. Traction is assured by a stiff suspension, Dynamic Stability Control, Cornering Brake Control and 17x8 rubber. A 10-speaker audio system and 4 years of complete maintenance are also included. Optional are: automatic transmission, Xenon headlamps, iPod integration, and the Sport Button which stiffens the throttle and steering for performance driving.

Base price is $40,100, and it is $43,270 very nicely equipped. Click here to build your own, and visit your local dealer next month for a test drive.

Bonus link 1: A photo gallery of 10 supercars including the Veyron and the FXX
Bonus link 2:
Burnout Revenge, a very fun car crash video game
Bonus link 3: David Hasselhoff’s newest music video:
Jump In My Car. It is more horrible than you could imagine making it must watch

2 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger warrenjp said...

Great article, Paul. Justin, Tyler, and I are looking forward to test driving the Z4 Coupe. In the mean time, the three of us watched David Hasselhoff strut his stuff in the Jump In My Car video. Justin says, "I liked the car and the part where the man shoots out the lady." Tyler says, "It's not a really good video, and he's not very nice". I say, "The video really was more horrible than I could imagine. Let's hope that Hasselhoff makes another video soon with Dirk Nowitzki. I haven't laughed so hard in years..."

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger paul said...

Warren-

Thanks for the classic comment. I'm still laughing. Each brillo (big and little) responded exactly as I would have predicted.

Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page