Monday, July 24, 2006

the lonely planet guide to my apartment

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am a bit behind in my New Yorker reading. I did pick up the travel issue (2006-04-24) over the weekend, and I was delighted to find Jonathan Stern’s satirical The Lonely Planet Guide To My Apartment. It is brief, side-splittingly funny and online.

The guide covers essentials such as what to bring, when to go and local customs. I especially enjoyed Things to See & Do, but all of the descriptions of the indigenous people and their local culture are quite humorous. For instance, consider this advice for women travellers:

Solo female travellers are often subjected to excessive unwanted male attention. Normally, these men only want to talk to you, but their entreaties can quickly become tiresome. Don’t be afraid to be rude. Even a mild polite response can be perceived as an expression of interest. The best approach is to avoid eye contact, always wear a bra, and talk incessantly about your “fiancé, Neil.”

Well done, Jonathan! I am looking forward to reading more of your work.