Monday, April 03, 2006

parmigiano reggiano

Parmigiano aged 24 monthsAs my partners and I continue to incubate our super-cool, super-secret new venture from our home offices I find myself making my own lunch more often. While it is unlikely that the peanut butter and jelly sandwich will become a cool thing of the day, I did want to remind you how good freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano tastes with pasta or a salad.

Parmigiano Reggiano is a whole milk cheese produced in Italy where they have really happy cows. Although many cheeses are labeled parmesan, real Parmigiano is produced provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna and Mantua using traditional techniques refined over the last 8 centuries.

Taste varies subtly by dairy and type of cow, but all Parmigiano is aged at least 18 months, and more typically 2-3 years. It has a wonderful texture and sharp, rich flavor, and it stores very well. Parmigiano compliments many simple dishes and is a little luxury that no kitchen should be without.