Tuesday, November 21, 2006

sambazon acai smoothies

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day but it is also the one I am most likely to skip. Sure, I’ll have a yogurt, some citrus or pomegranate juice from time to time, but more often than not lunch will be my first meal of the day. That may change now that I have discovered Sambazon açaí smoothies

Açaí is a palm native to the floodplains of Central and South America that produces a dark berry extremely high in dietary fiber, and antioxidants. The açaí berry also contains significant quantities of vitamin E, phytosterols, amino acids, fatty acids and anthocyanin pigments, and it tastes a bit like blueberry, but less sweet.

Sambazon is the largest organic producer and exporter of açaí to the US and they formulate delcious beverges. I’ve just become a big fan of the Mango Uprising for its smooth blueberry/mango/banana taste, and I will keep drinking it for its nutritional properties. The drink is made from:

Açaí purree, organic apple and grape juices, organic bananas, organic mangos, organic soy lethicin, organic guarana extract, organic acerola and citric acid

and nothing else. A 10.5 oz smoothie has 260 calories and provides 4g of omega fatty acids, 7g of dietary fiber and 3g of protein. The one drawback is that, like any juice, it is high in sugar at 34g.

Sambazon smoothies are priced like other superfood drinks at $2.99, but Safeway is running a buy 1, get 1 free sale right now. I am stocking up on Mango Uprising and I will try some of their other flavors.