Sunday, June 04, 2006

texas smokehouse bbq

texas smokehouse bbq in san joseMy quest to find great BBQ brought me to San Jose last night to the Texas Smokehouse BBQ. The TSB is a true hole-in-the-wall with just 3 tables inside and a San Jose address near 101 and 680 that is not easy to find. It is worth the effort though, as the many locals getting take-out are more than happy to tell you.

bbq chicken with collard greens and yamsThe first clue that my meal at TSB would be extraordinary came as we walked up and began to smell the BBQ flavor coming from the homemade 500-gallon pit parked out in front. The next clue appeared when reviewing their menu; they make all the classics. And, the final tip-off was when we were ordering and learned that they were sold out of cornbread, beef ribs and pork ribs. I now know that if I want ribs I need to go earlier than 7p on a Saturday.

tri-tip with baked beans and yamsDon’t be fooled by TSB’s low prices – their portions are huge. We ordered the meals, which come with your choice of two sides. I was able to try the baked beans (very sweet), the yams (soft and tasty) and the collard greens (spicy!) I was also able to sample the tri-tip (fantastic sauce and smokey flavor) and the chicken (tender with baked in sauce). One of their regulars told us that in not having Larry’s ribs we really missed out. Oh well, I guess we will just have to go really soon ;)

Another reason to return to the Texas Smokehouse is the dessert. They were out of peach cobbler, so we loaded up on $1.25 sweet potato pie. My, oh my! My friend Hansel makes a great sweet potato pie, but this might be better.

Texas Smokehouse BBQ: 1091 S Capitol Ave San Jose, CA (408) 926-2829
Hours: Wednesday - Saturday 11 am to 9 pm, Sunday 11 am to 7 pm

1 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place has the best BBQ and side orders, just love it.
I drove from san francisco to a wedding nearby, and saw the smoker outside just had to stop and try the ribs! worth the great prices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page