Friday, April 14, 2006

pancakes

I had a late breakfast today with my friends Bill and Mark at the Millbrae Pancake House. Bill shared one of his favorite spots with us and I wanted to share it with you.

For the past 50 years the folks at the MPH have been serving all-day breakfast for their many devoted customers (at 11a on a Friday the place was packed). They offer more traditional lunch items as well as eggs and omelets, but according to Bill the reason to drive to Millbrae is for the pancakes.

I ordered banana, Bill ordered blueberry, and we both received plates overflowing with 6 gigantic buttermilk pancakes topped with lots of fresh fruit. They were light, fluffy and perfectly golden brown, rivaling the best I have had. I am a big fan of the Original Pancake House in Los Altos, but these are at least as good.

Despite the fact that Bill always makes great restaurant recommendations, I wasn’t prepared to be as impressed with breakfast as I was. I didn’t study the menu so I can’t report with confidence on the large variety of pancakes they make (there are a lot of choices). And, I didn’t bring a camera to photograph the big stacks of cakes that arrived. But, trust me and, more plausibly, trust Bill: the MPH is the real deal.

Millbrae Pancake House: 1301 El Camino Real, Millbrae, CA (650) 589-2080
Original Pancake House: 420 S San Antonio Rd, Los Altos, CA (650) 559-9197