Monday, April 09, 2007

lots of links

Last year I learned that it was easy to develop a blogging routine. Last month I discovered how it easy it was to drop the habit. But, just because I haven’t been writing often doesn’t mean I haven’t been finding interesting things. To catch up, tonight I offer 9 links across 3 categories.

Food and drink

I was back at Evvia. I continue to recommend the Greek salad and the Gigantes, but the braised goat with feta and pearl onions is my new favorite entry. The rack of lamb is also excellent; consider a half order.

I have been enjoying some nice wines. Two value oriented selections from the Russian River Valley are the lively Quivera Sauvignon Blanc and the well-balanced, fruity Crossbarn Pinot Noir. Crossbarn is Paul Hobbs second label.

And, we tried more creations from Sushi Sam’s. Don took detailed pictures, and Joy and Mike provided sake. To their Yuki No Bosha “Cabin in the Snow” Limited Release Junmai Ginjo and Hatsushibori “Pure Snow” Junmai Ginjo I added a bottle of Mu Sake “Nothingness” Junmai Diaginjyo. All three were clean and delicate on the palate, not surprising given their very similar SMV values.

Movies

Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People’s Temple, a 90-minute documentary that premiered tonight on PBS, tells the very disturbing story of Jim Jones through interviews with 8 former followers and extensive footage from the 50s, 60s and 70s. It re-airs this week.

Babel – I wanted to see this in the theater and finally caught it on DVD. I was impressed. Think of it as a better version of Crash with more intense acting.

When it was released, The Illusionist was overshadowed by The Prestige (which I loved), but it is possible that it is the better film. I’m not sure why it didn’t generate more buzz. Edward Norton delivers another outstanding performance, and the story is both romantic and mysterious.

Interesting news

A new species of dinosaur capable of burrowing underground has been discovered.

An excavation on Keros has unearthed new clues about Cycladic civilization.

Finally, an article from the Smithsonian describes how SSRL imaging is used to unlock the mysteries of the palimpsest and expose the lost writing of Archimedes.