Wednesday, December 13, 2006

elf yourself

The great thing about the cool thing of the day is that it is a competition whose outcome is uncertain until midnight draws near. Take today for example. Two hours ago I thought a story might win. It had a strong title: save a bunny, kill a cougar. It had good protagonists: Theresa and the ever outrageous Thaddeus Orlando. And, it had an insane plot.

Thaddeus and Theresa had a bet as to whether an older, less attractive but aggressive woman (the cougar) was going to take a younger, more attractive man (the bunny) home for some entertainment. It was becoming clear that the cougar had entrapped her prey when she made a fatal mistake: she retired to the restroom. At this point, Thaddeus, who never loses, intervened and engaged the bunny in conversation. With the line, “It is so nice that you can go out drinking with your mother” the hunt was over and the bunny fled to safety. A classic!

An hour later, when we had finished our drinks, devoured our appetizers (crab cakes, pork with quince chutney and oysters), and were ravaging our entrees, I thought the meal would be featured. We were dining at Seven on The Alameda in San Jose. Seven has a fun bar, modern décor and very good food. I loved my rare ahi and the pan roasted chicken was also delicious.

Yet, it wasn’t until I came home and checked my email that the contest was decided. In my inbox was a message from Warren encouraging us to “elf ourselves.” I’m a sucker for holiday cheer, and in a link I will likely regret for as long as I blog, here are my results. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding! I think you've found your true calling, Paul. Nice find, Warren.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Paul I am very impressed by your courage.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a genius story. orlando continues to entertain.

as for your elf-yourself ... no comment, except i prefer the original full-hair-adelberg elf.

sj

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger paul said...

Scott-

I agree, but perhaps the readers want to judge for themselves? For the vintage full-hair-adelberg elf, click here.

Paul

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mix several shots of Tequila, preferably El Tesoro Paradiso, with a very attractive Theresa, who pushes my buttons anyway, and you are bound to get an outrageously insane plot out of me every time. The cougar was simply hunting at the wrong place and certainly at the wrong time. The bunny was in deep trouble and had that ‘…please help me…’ look all over his face. I had no choice but to step in the phone booth and slip into my bunny saver cape. Plus there was just no way I was going to lose the bet to Theresa.

Now as for the elf thing…. Paul, you’ve found your calling! I am also very impressed with your courage. This is too funny.

Save the Bunny


Thaddeus Orlando

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page