Friday, July 07, 2006

patxi’s chicago pizza

Even though the men of Guy’s Night Out are spontaneous, adventurous and never predictable, we have been known to return to our favorite restaurants on occasion. I have mentioned several in the rotation before, but last night we visited one I have yet to reference: Patxi’s Chicago Pizza. If you like real deep dish pizza, especially in the Giordano’s tradition, you need to know about Patxi’s.

Patxi’s was started 2 years by some folks who had been at Zachary’s. Those who have dined at the legendary East Bay pizzeria appreciate that it is home to the best Chicago-style pies in the Bay Area, or at least that is what I used to think. Now that I have had dozens of delicious pizzas from Patxi’s, I’m not so sure that Zach’s is still king.

Patxi’s serves salad (I enjoy the Greek) and thin crust pizza, but the only reason to go is for the deep dish. We usually get the Special (sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper combo) and modify the Veggie (mushrooms, onions, green peppers) by replacing the olives with spinach. The busy kitchen is open so you can watch as your dough is tossed and formed in the deep-dish pan. Then it is covered in cheese, toppings, more cheese and a thick tomato sauce that neither too sweet nor tangy. 25 minutes later your 2-inch deep pie is delivered to your table, and a blissful food coma is sure to follow.

Patxi’s first location was in Palo Alto, but they have opened a second in Hayes Valley for your dining convenience.

Patxi’s: 441 Emerson St, Palo Alto, CA (650) 473-9999
Patxi’s: 511 Hayes St, San Francisco, CA (415) 558-9991

Bonus link:
Little Star Pizza in the Western Addition has been getting rave reviews

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giordano’s is completely amazing. I'm usually partial to New York style pizza, but I had a roommate who worked for Giordano's during the summers between school, and whenever he went back home he's always bring 2 back on the drive, so I developed a liking for it. He was a bit of a chef too, and although he was a waiter at the restaurant, he got one of the cooks to teach him how to make pizza properly. Once a month, at least, he'd make Chicago-style deep dish, and it was every bit as good as the stuff he brought straight from the restaurant.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger paul said...

You can't tease us like that (although I guess that is what I do whenever I write about Bay Area food). Talk to your old roommate and beg for a recipe. If not for the incredible crust at least for the amazing sauce.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can dangle the carrot all I want when I have to read about imported chocolates, expensive cheeses, and better restaurants that I have around me three or four days out of the week (don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the fact that you're a foodie.) I'll see if I can find the recipie for the sauce, although I know he did take the express route with the dough and buy plain old frozen pizza dough. He did get his deep dish pan straight from the restaurant though. I'm sure William Sonoma can furnish something more than servicable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page