Monday, April 24, 2006

interesting music used in tv advertisements

I don’t watch that much TV. It’s not because of superior character; rather, I am a Luddite without cable. After an early-adopter experiment with DirecTV, I’ve toughed it out with my poor over-the-air reception. I mention this because even though I am not seeing many shows I have noticed that TV commercials are employing a wide selection of interesting music to sell their products. In no particular order, here are my 5 current favorites:

the product: Jaguar XK (2006) (google video)
the song:
Spoon – I Turn My Camera On (iTunes)

the product: Sutter Health (2006)
the song: Bill Ricchini – A Cold Wind Blows (
iTunes)

the product: Budwiser Select (2006)
the song:
The Chemical Brothers feat. Q-Tip – Galvanize (iTunes)

the product: Diet Coke (2006)
the song:
Goldfrapp - Ooh La La (iTunes)

the product: Civic Hybrid (2006)
the song: Grandaddy – Nature Anthem (
iTunes)

Of course, any discussion of music and commercial should acknowledge the amazing re-branding that Volkswagen accomplished and the instrumental role that music played in that campaign. Here are my favorites from the past:

the product: Volkswagen Golf (1997)
the music:
Trio – Da Da Da (iTunes)

the product: Volkswagen Beetle (1998)
the music: Orb – Little Fluffy Clouds (
iTunes)

the product: Volkswagen Cabrio (1999)
the song: Nick Drake – Pink Moon (
iTunes)

the prodcut: Volkswagen Jetta (2000)
the song: Master Cylinder – Jung at Heart (
download)

Note: full lengths songs for evaluation can often be found using the Hype Machine's search

1 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bill Ricchini song "When the Morning Comes" was featured on Men in Trees last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page