Thursday, February 02, 2006

woven dental floss

In writing about the Downey ball I feel that I shed some inhibitions. As a result, today I present woven floss.

I used to use normal waxed dental floss. Flossing was a chore and I was never sure what it accomplished. Two years ago I switched to Glide and then to Oral-B Satin tape. I appreciated the added shred resistance of these premium flosses and their ability to fit between tightly spaced teeth. I also found them to be much more comfortable when I floss more vigorously.

However, last year I had an epiphany when my dentist gave me a sample of woven floss. Manufactured by Johnson &Johnson under the Reach brand, woven floss consists of two braided strands of cotton, one white one blue. Held loosely, they are fuzzy. Pulled tight, they compact to fit between tight spaces.

The excellent part about woven floss is that it has all of the comfort of Glide or Satin, but it also delivers extra cleaning power since it is more abrasive and less slippery. We are talking cotton, not steel wool, so the abrasion is limited, but the floss scrubs the side of the tooth while treating the gum with the utmost care.

I know floss is a strange thing to be passionate about, but having just flossed, brushed and rinsed for the night I can say that Woven Floss is an top-notch invention. Stop by your local drug store and pick some up, or order from Amazon if you have a hard time finding it. It also comes in a more minty flavor in a white box with brown lettering.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for looking out for us Paul! I'm liking the sense of atleastonecool thing as a lifestyle enhancement tool. From pandas to floss. From the cool to the unexpected. Thanks for putting it out there.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I'll have to look for that. I've only used the regular wax coated floss myself. By the way, your blog is the Friday Featured Blog at my blog. :-)
http://katyggls.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am completely sold on woven dental floss. What I like is that it is much easier to hold on to, doesn't tend to slip around my fingers; and doesn't seem to cut into my fingers either. What I find strange is how difficult it is to find in stores any more. I thought they had quit making it even though it is the best floss around. I will try your online recommendation.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using it since aobut 2004 when I discovered. Like it for the same reasons you meantioned. Plus it conforms to tooth better to wipe a wider swath, yet able to go into smaller cracks and crevices. I am a friction fan too=, but I could never get any dentists to agree it is better to have some friction. They said all floss is good.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Dev said...

I got some of this today. I believe the increased friction from the fibers produces better schmutz removal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page