Monday, June 19, 2006

goat gouda

Arina Goat GoudaThere were several food-related candidates for today’s entry. This morning I had a delicious, sweet Ruby Star grapefruit with breakfast; this afternoon I snacked on a few squares of rich Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate; and, this evening I indulged in the addictively abusive Hell’s Kitchen television program. But, it was the cheese course that carried the day. My featured selection: Arina Goat Gouda.

Arina goat gouda is a product of Holland. Manufactured in 16-pound wheels that are aged for four months, it has a semi-firm but creamy consistency. The taste is tangy but also subtle and silky. It is milder than an unaged goat but sharper than a cow’s milk gouda.

I enjoyed my cheese with a New Zealand Southern Rose apple, and I found the pairing to be outstanding. Less sweet that a Delicious or Fuji, the Southern Rose is very firm and crisp - kind of like a less sour Granny Smith. The apple is wonderful by itself, but even better with a slice of Arina goat gouda. Whole Foods was my supplier for both items.

1 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I stole one of Paul's apple from the kitchen and it is true that they are delicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page