Wednesday, March 15, 2006

more design stores

Based on the number of emails I received, last week’s list of design resources proved to be one of my more popular posts. This week I thought I would add a few new ones. Next to each store is the item I liked best from their website.

CB2: Crate and Barrel has had a more modern, online-only sister store for several years now. Who knew? They have 2 retail locations (both in Chicago), and they have just mailed a catalog. Prices are reasonable and I imagine that the quality is comparable to C&B. The item I selected is the scaffold bookshelf. At $499 I think this is a great bargain. Click the picture to view the product page.

2modern: 2modern is online company that carries Blu Dot, Moxbox and several dozen other young designers. They sell high-quality furniture, lighting and accessories at reasonable prices. 2modern is similar to Design Within Reach, but they have many more decorative items like these stylish $60 pillows.

Atys Design: Atys is on Union Street and they stock smaller contemporary items from designers like Richard Sapper. Atys is a bit hard to find as it is back off the street, but it is a great stop for gift shopping. Pictured is the Carl Mertens waiter's corkscrew. It is beautifully machined and it is my choice for opening a bottle of wine.

architectural elements: ae is a new shop on Valencia. It is very modern and somewhat expensive. Its website has pictures of many catalog items, but there are a number of things in the store not on their website. It is a fun place to stop in next time you are in the Mission.

Atys: 2149 Union St # B, San Francisco, CA (415) 441-9220
Architectural Elements: 573 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA (415) 252-8370