Wednesday, March 01, 2006

automated postal centers

USPS Automated Postal Center kioskI hate going to the post office. In fact, I’ve mailed things via FedEx when certified mail would have been sufficient just to avoid the lines. Thankfully, the post office has modernized and introduced the inspired Automated Postal Center (APC).

What the ATM did for banking, the award winning APC does for mailing. It handles packages, letters, postage and special services like Express, Priority, Certified, Registered and Return Receipt. It is remarkably easy to use and free of surcharges. Best of all, APC machines are available after hours and on weekends. At my post office the machine can be used 24 hours a day.

Today I needed to send via certified mail. To complete this task I placed my letter on the scale, selected a delivery option from the touch screen (first class for $.39), added a special service (certified mail for $2.40), swiped my credit card, and I was done. The machine printed postage, the certified barcode and a receipt. No forms, no lines, no mistakes and about 90 seconds total for the transaction. Very cool!

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger James Mills said...

I too love the APC. You can also buy stamps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Main page